Tuesday, July 22, 2014

There are many reasons an artist creates. I myself am motivated by a number of impulses. I’ll mention a few:

Pure enjoyment. I admit, I LOVE formline design. I think by now my brain is hardwired for seeing things in terms of formline potential. I like to design in a way that the end result is pleasing to the eye. That’s important.

My painting I did way back in 1984 shows my use of traditional formline and also a baby step toward experimental design. The experimentation was in forms floating off the canvas, in forms overlaying a background, and in leaving out crucial primary and secondary elements. Also, I was beginning to use traditional formline not as clan crest art, but as a vehicle to explore other issues and concepts. Below, “Blind Salmon” was a concept I had while wondering what would happen if fish could not find their way back to their spawning streams. Please forgive the image quality, this was salvaged from a water-damaged 35mm slide.

Blind Salmon

Responsibility. I create clan crests when people need them for cultural reasons. Sometimes it takes me a while to fulfill what I see as my obligations, but I do my best. Below is a blanket design I did for Clara Grey of Sitka, based on an older blanket.

Clara Grey Killer Whale

I have back orders of tattoo designs individuals have requested. I have orders for logos, and event designs. I do the annual Recovery Month logo usually organized by one of the SEARHC Behavioral Health divisions. The below is from Recovery Month 2012. Every September, I am asked to design something based on the theme of the year. This year’s theme is “Speak Up, Reach Out”.

Finally, I design and teach formline because I believe art is a cohesive force. it has a social aspect; one that is unifying. Look at the numbers of people who become fascinated and fall in love with this art form, and then those among them who also master the art form. Art invites people to participate and engage. There are many younger people who are becoming interested in their heritage and the art often is that gateway.

While I do not consider myself a social artist, I really like the ideals that Jean Houston outlines. Myself, I live a small and quiet life. I hope to make art that moves and inspires, even beyond my own imagination.

0 comments: