Monday, April 28, 2014

If I've learned one thing about enjoying the art process, it is to take breaks as needed. 
Sometimes when I am working compulsively - just do not want to find a stopping point, my body will remind me. That reminder can be hunger/thirst, aches and pains, tiredness and then exhaustion. 
A long time ago, back in the 70's I took a class through now defunct Sheldon Jackson College with Esther Littlefield as instructor down at the Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center. She told us about having a good attitude while doing our cultural art. She emphasized the reason this was important was that our energy goes into things. I've heard the same from a number of older Native artists since then. 
It's easy for me to work to exhaustion because I love the art so much. I believe in the beauty of our art, and like to think I am bringing beauty to the world. 
Today, tending to some medical thins, I just could not do fine detail painting. As much as I hoped to make more progress on my recent painting, it was a day to recharge. I took a nap and listened to podcasts about staying healthy. 
Sometimes art is medicine. Sometimes rest is medicine. 

0 comments: